A blog following my summer in Oaxaca, Mexico through the Rutgers study abroad program.

Sunday, June 29, 2014

Hey all! The end is finally here. At 5:30 AM this morning we will be picked up from our homestays and driven to the airport for our 8 AM flight. Most of us are leaving in the morning, and two of the Mexican students plan to stay longer in the country with family. There is so much more I want to blog about, but I felt it best to get out my thoughts tonight (2:30 AM haha) while I pack.

This was such an amazing opportunity. Everyday there was something new to learn about, something exciting to explore - if only it could be a longer trip! The students who I shared this experience with are wonderful, as is Professor Guarnaccia, the SURCO staff, those at the Arrazola clinic, and the people I've met all throughout Oaxaca. I can't begin to describe what this trip has meant to me, and I am so grateful for all the support throughout the application process. Being in Oaxaca and working among the population, learning about the culture, and exploring medical anthropology have all given me more skills and knowledge to pursue international medicine.

Oaxaca has so much to offer, and I hope that one day I can come back. Despite the struggle, I enjoyed the hikes, and despite the early mornings, I loved being at the clinic. The excursions were beautiful, the classes enlightening, and if I could do it all over again, I would in a heartbeat.

So, if you have doubts about studying abroad, I'd say, take the leap. Some things can't be learned in class, as I'm sure most of you know. I will put up the rest of the photos (many more!) in the following weeks once I get back. Thank you Greg Spear for the opportunity to blog about my experience, and thank you Dr. G and my fellow Oaxaca crew for making this trip one of the best I've ever had.

No comments:

Post a Comment